The Common Swings Juvenilia 4

Our penultimate trip down the highways and byways of the Common Swings.


This idea was to do a "Private Eye" style diary in the manner of Craig Brown but it never went beyond a title sadly... probably for the best.

Oh god, the amount of variations of this joke I wrote... you would not believe. You should not believe. I really should have accepted some jokes are just not meant for this world... but no, I kept on hammering it home. Ah well. Here's probably the least worst version...


Preliminary sketches for a "hilarious" blues based serial... you can guess the rest of it really.


Poor, but I somehow rather like the phrase "hoochy chancer" and can't quite believe I actually came up with it.


A Bird Called Brenda was one joke too far I think (although "A Bloke Called Barry" was barely any better). Also, I suspect I knew precisely nothing of a Guy Called Gerald beyond his name...


A joke so simple it should write itself. But somehow didn't. There's a Keith Moon variation somewhere too and that's scarcely any better...


Oh good lord, surely this must be the dregs of this whole thing? A weak pun on both Gentle Giant AND quite rightly forgotten eighties kid's football series "Jossy's Giants". I am so, so sorry...


Again, did I actually know what R Kelly LOOKED like? An old joke but not a very funny one...


If I'd had access to the internet then, I suspect this would have been funnier as they'd have looked more like Moog and, well, Theremin. The idea was that Moog and Theremin were angry neighbours like you'd get in "Whizzer and Chips" or "The Beano" and each episode would involve 'hilarious' musical one upmanship or annoyance at, say, the  BBC Radiophonic Workshop moving in down the road.


I'm just so so so sorry for this one. There's no justification for it really.


A title, but no drawing because really the joke really had nothing more to offer than just the title... and even then it barely had that to offer either...


Finally, more doodles and some evidence of my endless attempts to make Nick Drake hilarious along the lines of "Disaster Des" from "Cheeky"...

Last one tomorrow! OH JOY!

Comments

Popular Posts